Wednesday, March 5, 2014

At the Cost?


I am hesitant to show pictures of my new house.  I am proud of what we have accomplished in our lives at the ripe ages of 29 and 31, but there is a voice in my head that keeps telling me no or not too much. I don't want to have people who are stumbling over me. By that I mean, I don't want to be envied. I don't want to cause someone else to covet the things I have. Sure I'd like them to admire and want to aspire to achieve the goals I've set before myself but not at the cost of a sin.

I find myself doing such a thing when I find a blogger I admire. I begin to admire them a little too much and start wanting "things," that I don't need but want them because they have them or a lot of them or whatever the case may be. While I appreciate the things they're blogging about sometimes it's easy for me to get lost in it all. Now, not all the blogs I read are this way, and I often try to remove myself from those and step back. Some blogs I don't envy them and can just enjoy what they're talking about. (Like some DIY things I plan to do once we're completely finished - and saved up some money to do!)

Our new budget includes a 529 College plan through our state for the boy. Just thinking about the cost of college gives me nightmares, and I would like (Lord willing) 3 more (adopted) children. Eeek. There are also other goals I have for the homestead - gardening so much so that I'll have to give it away to family + friends, more animals - chickens (local non-GMO free range eggs are expensive! $3.50 a dozen), goats, eventually a cow or two (they need company) oh and more dogs of course. Then there is the decorating of our house - upgrades I would like to have as time goes on. A new King Size bed as everyone tends to sleep in our bed - the boy, a collie, me + the husband.  We'll need blinds and drapes on the multitude of windows I insisted upon. I can sew the drapes myself but the fabric could be expensive - then they'll be rods to add. A few rugs for the living room and playroom floors - oh and bedrooms. These are all "goals" as I say because they will most definitely not be happening at once or within the super near future.

I think when we begin in life as adults - married adults, there are certain things we think that we just simply deserve rather than have to work for.  I watch a lot of those shows on HGTV and DIY Network where people say what they want and then realize their heads are in the clouds, not even thinking about a starter home.








It's missing the backsplash that I thought was urgent and I chose something that wasn't what I wanted but out of the choices I had, it was the best. If I hate it, I'll just have to save up and change it. So there you have it.  My dream kitchen.

Specifics:

White Cabinets
Absolute Black Granite Countertops which I believe was $60.00 per square foot, a quote from the cabinet maker.
42 inches tall and going all the way to the ceiling.

Eventually I plan to add crown molding throughout the entire house but that's not super high on my list of important things to tackle. At this point I just want to get in the house itself and then we'll make a list of what needs to be done and the urgency of such things...like a large fence for three crazy dogs.

This weekend we'll be hosting my husband's 96 year old grandfather and taking him out and about. Hopefully a trip to get some ice cream! My birthday is at the end of the month - I'll be 30! I'm hoping to finally get my sewing machine replaced (a certain recent rescue dog destroyed it with a running spell under the table) and get back to quilting. Now I'll have my own space to do that and I am excited about what I can create, not to mention finishing - that quilt that I started on last year for my brother is still unfinished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts by so very charming. All rights reserved.
Blog design by Labina Kirby.