Sunday, March 2, 2014

Success!

I am happy to say that I have succeeded in my budget of $80.00 - $100.00 on food that is organic and healthy! I first have to say that you must change the way you're shopping.

1.) Menu Plan for a week.  I find if I plan for more than a week I get overwhelmed and over budget very quickly. I also end up throwing out a lot of food and I just don't want to waste anything.

2.) Stop at the organic, grass-fed meats first. I was doing things all wrong. By planning my protein first I can estimate the cost per meal of what I've planned. After awhile you learn the prices and you can adjust as well.

3.) Go to the produce second. I know it's in our nature to follow the grocery store pattern, weaving in and out of isles - stay away from the isles if you can.  Here you can apply the list of the "Dirty Dozen," and "Clean Fifteen," :

                           
                       

3. Keep a tally of your numbers. I over-estimate to prevent any sticker shock at the register. I don't buy junk food. I just can't. I'll consume the entire amount in a few days if I do. I just don't keep those things in the house. On occasion I will make something sweet and carbohydrate laden but often I feel sick after eating it. I'm thinking of making Polish donuts - Paczki this week sometime because I have all the ingredients on hand. I have absolutely no self-control around sweets so I usually give them away.

Walking away from the supermarket with the satisfaction knowing I have saved money and done my job as CPO, I get such a sense of pride, in a good way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts by so very charming. All rights reserved.
Blog design by Labina Kirby.