Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Epic pizza fail.

So this no-grains thing completely hit the wall the other night. I gave in and ordered pizza. Pizza is- well was my favorite food. I haven't worked up to making a cauliflower crust yet which apparently is the latest thing in the let's make up for no grains food. We had no groceries - poor planning on my part. So I just melted. It had been a long day of being out and about and I'd had a granola bar also probably contributing to my grumpiness.
If I eat another egg for breakfast I just might throw-up or become an egg. I'm also concerned about the Paleo diet and cardiovascular disease which I'm still researching if there is a link especially with my former pregnancy induced hypertension that still lingers due to my pre-eclampsia. Also, before pregnancy I had high triglycerides and heart disease runs in my family - all reasons in my book to RESEARCH! I can't just take a bloggers word for it.

According to the "inventor" of the Paleo diet:
The carbohydrates (unlimited fruits and veggies) in the Paleo Diet are of a low-glycemic index, meaning that they cause slow and limited rises in your blood sugar and insulin levels. Excessive insulin and blood sugar levels are known to promote a cluster of diseases called the Metabolic Syndrome (obesity, hypertension, undesirable blood cholesterol and other blood lipid levels, Type 2 diabetes and gout). The high fiber, protein, and omega-3 fat content of the Paleo Diet will also help to prevent the Metabolic Syndrome.
Because of the unlimited amounts of fruits and veggies permitted on the Paleo Diet, your body will be slightly alkaline – meaning that diseases and disease symptoms of acid/base imbalance (osteoporosis, kidney stones, hypertension, stroke, asthma, insomnia, motion sickness, inner ear ringing, and exercise-induced asthma) will improve.
The high soluble-fiber content of the Paleo Diet will improve most diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, and the high omega-3 fat content will improve most of the “itis” or inflammatory diseases.

In my opinion you're essentially saying goodbye to all the junk we're eating instead of high protein, fruits and vegetable diet we SHOULD be doing. Also I've found that by saying "I can't eat that because of my sensitivity to grains..." gives ME a reason to avoid these things.

Also accoding to the Paleo site :
Recent clinical studies have shown that high-protein diets are more effective in improving blood cholesterol and other blood lipid levels than are low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets. High-protein diets have also been shown to lower blood homocysteine levels, another risk factor for heart disease.
Well this is a duh I'd say but what about chicken and fish? I feel like a lot of the Paleo lifestyle focuses on unhealthy amount of red meats, high in saturated fats I need to have my blood work done, share that and then go from there. I think it's better to go slowly into this type of "lifestyle" rather than just jump in which is what I did and look where it ended up - epic pizza fail.  So onto new recipes and coconut flour ( which is something new to try and I'm excited since I love coconut!)

I found this list helpful : http://cavemanstrong.com/food/grocery-list-paleo-style/

But it was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts by so very charming. All rights reserved.
Blog design by Labina Kirby.